Botox is a popular cosmetic treatment that has been used for decades to reduce facial wrinkles, smooth skin, and lessen the appearance of aging. But what exactly is Botox made of?
History of Botox
Botox, or Botulinum neurotoxin, has been used for medical and aesthetic purposes since the late 70s. Although this is the same toxin that causes botulism (a life-threatening form of food poisoning), its effects vary according to the amount and type of exposure. It was originally approved by the FDA for the treatment of blepharospasm, a type of eye muscle spasm. However, it wasn’t until 2002 that the FDA approved its use in cosmetic procedures, such as reducing the appearance of frown lines, glabellar lines, crow’s feet, wrinkles, etc.
Today, Botox is more well known for enhancing a youthful appearance however it can still be used to treat neurological and neuromuscular medical conditions such as cervical dystonia, muscle contractions, cerebral palsy, chronic migraine, hyperhidrosis, muscle weakness, strabismus, overactive bladder, urinary incontinence, and excessive sweating.
Different Types of Botox Treatments
Botox injections prevent the release of acetylcholine, which stops the nerve endings and muscle cells from contracting at the injection site. There are a few different types of Botox treatments available depending on your specific needs.
Botox injections can help for cosmetic purposes by reducing wrinkles by preventing the muscles beneath them from contracting, thus softening or eliminating facial lines and creases.
- Botox can help improve the appearance of your skin by reducing wrinkles, smoothing skin tone, and giving your face a more youthful look.
- In addition to aesthetic benefits, Botox can also be used to treat medical conditions such as neck spasms (cervical dystonia), excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), an overactive bladder, lazy eye, and it may also help prevent chronic migraines.
Xeomin was approved by the FDA in 2011. It works like other botulinum toxins but claims to have a more predictable effect on the skin than some of its competitors.
- It is also said to have fewer side effects than other botulinum toxins and is often hyped as being a more natural or clean alternative to Botox.
- Xeomin is a very convenient treatment. Sessions last about 10 to 20 minutes, depending on how many treatment areas you have.
Jeuveau is the newest Botulinum toxin, approved by the FDA in 2019 for cosmetic use. Like Dysport, Jeuveau cosmetic injections work faster than Botox and provide a softer, more natural-looking effect on the skin.
- The FDA has explicitly given Jeuveau approval to treat glabellar lines, sometimes referred to as “11 lines.” After years of scowling, frowning, squinting, and furrowing your brow, these vertical lines appear between your eyebrows.
- Jeuveau injections may progressively teach the muscles that are being worked on to maintain a more relaxed condition, potentially resulting in longer-lasting effects.
Dysport, another formulation of botulinum toxin type a, has been approved for the same types of cosmetic treatments as Botox, but it is not yet FDA-approved for medical conditions such as spasms or drooping eyelids. In addition, Dysport works faster than Botox and is said to have a softer, more natural-looking effect on the skin.
- The glabella, or space between your eyebrows, is affected by lines that are reduced in appearance by Dysport.
- Prevents the formation of new wrinkles and provides immediate, natural-looking results, and can be used to treat excess sweating.
Benefits of Botox for Your Skin
Botox injections are an increasingly popular cosmetic treatment due to the numerous benefits they provide. It’s a quick and simple way to enhance your appearance and help with some medical issues. Since the effects of Botox injections are temporary, most people get repeated injections over time. Botox also has minimal side effects and is less invasive than plastic surgery, making it more appealing.
Transform Your Appearance with Skin Savvy
At Skin Savvy, we offer a range of treatments to help you achieve your desired look. From Botox cosmetic injections to laser skin resurfacing and micro-needling, our experienced team can help you find the perfect treatment for you. Contact us today to learn more about how Botox can help transform your skin.